Kombucha – a fermented effervescent tea – is one of the fastest growing health trends and is expected to continue to rise in popularity. According to Forbes, “Kombucha sales estimate to be $1.8 billion by 2020.”
Kombucha is a fermented drink made with tea, sugar, bacteria and yeast. If the thought of bacteria in a drink makes you cringe, not to worry, this is a healthy colony of bacteria, known as a SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast). The SCOBY ferments and feeds off the sugar, creating an effervescent, probiotic drink – making this the perfect beneficial bacteria with many health benefits!
Some of these health benefits include:
- Improves gut health – Because kombucha is rich in probiotics and antioxidants, this helps aid digestion, resulting in overall gut health – and even weight loss!
- Boosts the immune system – Kombucha includes probiotics, amino acids, B vitamins, and polyphenols, all that can stimulate the immune system.
- Prevents heart disease – Kombucha reduces blood sugar levels and lowers cholesterol, resulting in a healthier, happier heart!
- Alleviates depression – Studies have shown there may be a link between probiotics and depression, suggesting that drinking probiotic-rich kombucha could help promote positive mental health!
So what makes this bubbly drink so attractive to among the hundreds of other health drinks?
Kombucha is a reflection of the latest health and wellness trends. According to Beverage Daily, “Kombucha and other products branded as healthy have been seeing great success in the US market, as a greater level of health consciousness has arisen among citizens.”
Kombucha in Action
Fitspot partners with GT’s Kombucha for our healthy happy hours. This wellness experience provides coworkers a time to get together and socialize while enjoying a healthy drink! We bring the kombucha and pour tastes into small cups, that way kombucha newbies can try it out without committing to an entire bottle!
A few go-to flavors and their benefits from GT’s Kombucha:
- Gingerade – The main ingredient in this spicy drink is ginger, with benefits that help ease pain and soothe the stomach.
- Multi-Greens – The main ingredient in this organic drink is algae and spirulina, both of which rid the body of unwanted toxins and improve cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- Cosmic Cranberry – The main ingredient in this tangy drink is cranberry, known to reduce bad cholesterol and increase immune system health.