So you RSVP’ed to your Fitspot workout class at your office, packed your gym bag, and grabbed your water bottle.
The only problem? Your energy levels are running on low, if not empty. You know you need a pre-workout snack or you might pass out mid-pushup.
This scenario will likely sound familiar to anyone who enjoys exercising after work, or even in the early A.M. hours. Obviously, you don’t want to be uncomfortably full before a workout class, but a pre-workout snack is essential fuel for a successful workout. But the question remains: What should you eat before a workout?
The answer: A 50-50 mix of carbs and protein, with a small amount of healthy fat. Below, we’ve rounded up 10 of our favorite pre-workout snacks that not only fit the nutritional bill, but also taste delicious. Most are easy to transport, while others are better prepared in your kitchen before a morning workout. Pick a few of your favorites to keep on hand, and you’ll always stay fueled and energized for any workout that comes your way.
1. Fruit and Yogurt Parfait: In a portable container, layer 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/3 cup granola, and 1/2 cup mixed berries.
2. Protein-Packed Oatmeal: Mix 1 packet instant oats with 3/4 cup almond milk or water. Heat in microwave for 60-75 seconds. Add 1 tablespoon protein powder and 1 tablespoon almond (or peanut) butter. Stir to combine.
3. Easy Fruit Smoothie: Blend 1 cup Greek yogurt, 1 cup almond milk, 1/2 banana, and 1/2 cup mixed berries in a blender until fully combined.
4. Apple + Nut Butter: Cut 1 apple into slices and top with 1-2 tablespoons almond or peanut butter. It doesn’t get easier than that!
5. Avocado Toast with Egg: Toast 1 slice whole-grain bread. Use a fork to mash 1/2 avocado and spread on top of bread. Top with 1 fried or hard-boiled egg and season with salt and pepper.
6. Hummus Plate: Dip 8-10 celery stalks and carrot sticks into 2 tablespoons hummus.
7. Mini Turkey Sandwich: Toast 1 slice whole-grain bread. Spread mustard or mayonnaise on bread, and top with 3 slices of turkey.
8. Trail Mix: Buy a pre-portioned individual serving of trail mix (it should have 200 calories or less). Or make you own by mixing 1/3 cup granola, 1/3 cup nuts (like almonds or cashews), and 1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries.
9. Ricotta Rice Cake: Top 1 whole-grain rice cake with 2 tablespoons low-fat ricotta cheese. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle cinnamon on top.
10. English Muffin Pizza: Toast 1 English muffin. Top with tomato sauce and 1 tablespoon shredded cheese. Heat in toaster oven or microwave until cheese melts.
Jonathan is the Co-Founder and CEO of Fitspot. He co-founded Fitspot in 2016. As any CEO, he is doing anything from fundraising to closing deals, to planning for the future of Fitspot. Jon is a pizza aficionado who’s on the hunt for the best slice of pizza in NYC.