Times are changing.
Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube disrupted the way we consume entertainment. The Internet, smartphones, and social media completely changed the way we communicate. Amazon and other e-commerce sites changed the way we shop. And with apps like BIRD and Tinder (both are our wonderful clients), technology is changing the way we do everything—from getting around town to dating.
Similarly, workplace cultures are changing at a rapid pace. Today, the roughly 80 million millennials (people born between 1982 to 1997) in the U.S. currently make up the majority of workers, outnumbering both Generation X and Baby Boomers. By 2025, millennials will make up three-quarters of the global workforce.
As more and more millennials enter the workforce, companies are forced to adapt and rethink what a “healthy” culture should look like. They know they need to innovate to attract and retain new talent. And that means many C-suite executives and HR managers are trying to play major catchup.
How You Can Keep Up
Since we founded Fitspot in 2014, we’ve been researching and studying the best ways to engage employees, from the most senior level to the newest hires. Along the way, we’ve learned a lot about what workers, at any age, want.
While many HR departments continue to play the old rules that may appeal to the long-time employees, we’ve realized the importance of changing things up to appeal to this next-generation of workers.
These younger workers are looking for more than the usual HR perks. They want to feel like they’re part of an organization that cares about their overall well-being, not just their productivity or sales numbers. Plus, as the lines between work and life begin to blur thanks to technology, they want to be able to take care of their overall wellness, right at the office, so they can continue to work hard and live well.
Here’s the best news: It’s easier than you might think to attract and appeal to these millennials workers. The simple strategies below to make a huge difference in your work culture.
Want someone to take the work off your hands? We’re here to help! Learn how Fitspot helps you bring wellness programs, including many of the below perks, to your company.
The Best Work Perks for Millennials
1. Bi-Weekly Chair Massages: The perfect way to relax and unwind, right at work.
2. Monthly Smoothie and Juice Bars: Make their morning easier and build team camaraderie.
3. Coffee with the CEO: Millennials value transparency, and will appreciate the occasional opportunity to get some facetime with the boss.
4. Subsidized Gym Memberships or Fitness Classes. Even better? Bring fitness classes onsite, part of Fitspot’s corporate wellness offerings!
5. Use of a Company Bike: Employees will appreciate the convenient way to run errands and just get out of the office for some fresh air.
6. Friday Wrap-Ups with Free Beer: We do this at Fitspot, which provides team bonding as well as a positive way to wrap up the week.
7. Healthy Snacks: Everyone loves free food. Set up a subscription with a company like SnackNation (Fitspot can also arrange this for our clients). Or DIY by supplying fresh fruit and granola bars in the break room.
8. Cozy Nap/Meditation Room: Everyone needs a little alone time now and then.
9. Stipends for Continuing Education Classes or Certifications: You don’t have to stop learning when you finish college!
10. VIP Parking Spots: Pick an “employee of the month” who can park in a prime parking spot for the month.
11. Holiday Parties: It doesn’t have to be anything extravagant
12. Sponsorship of Employee Sports Teams
13. Wellness Challenges (with Prizes!): Fitspot can create and host challenges (like hitting 10,000 steps per day) in our technology portal.
14. Department Off-Site Retreats: Plan a day-long retreat with physical activities (at a lake, for example) to spur creative brainstorming.
15. Meditation Sessions: Mindfulness is a huge trend among millennials, and Fitspot has received amazing positive feedback when we bring meditation teachers on-site.
16. Flexible Schedules: One big perk of tech: Teams can stay connected, anywhere, at any time. Consider allowing team members to have flexible hours after proving their worth to the company.
17. Allow Dogs at Work: As long as there are no allergies, this is a great way to boost the spirits of all employees!
18. Select Summer Fridays: Pick a few days in the summer months where employees can leave at 1 p.m. to enjoy the beautiful weather!
Fitspot can help you get started with wellness programs that incorporate many of these perks, among others.
Contact us today to learn more!
Sammy is the COO and Co-Founder of Fitspot. Sammy is an attention-to-detail aficionado who brings a blend of grit and imagination to the zillions of tasks that confront every startup. She has always thrived in operations, working as a production assistant in LA and managing operations in the fashion industry. Sammy wears many hats at Fitspot, doing everything from sketching app screens to managing the customer experience. Sammy has a B.F.A. from the University of Miami, and hails from Australia.